I just got back from ten days of family time in Manitoba. The purpose of the trip was to be part of my sister and Jesse's wedding social. I also decided to throw Michelle a surprise bridal shower while I was out. Seeing as I am the Matron of Honour I feel like I have some catching up to do on my wedding duties:) It was so fun to gather all of Michelle's closest friends and surprise her with a shower. I served brunch and mimosas and then we enjoyed time together chatting, opening presents and loving on Michelle with words of encouragement and praise for the fantastic woman that she has become. It was quite clear after the shower how excited everyone is for the gem she has found in Jesse, her fiance. I already call him bro but I can't wait to have him join our family and have him add more mischief along with my husband.
Anyway, all that to be said, I had some recipe requests that I am finally putting up for you all to make at home to enjoy. I'm typing this on Andrew's computer so I don't have pictures to go along with these recipes. The best part is that you make them the night before and don't have any cooking or mess to clean up in the morning.
BLUEBERRIES AND CREAM FRENCH TOAST
12 slices day old white bread, crusts removed, cut into 1" cubes
2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
1 1/2 (8oz) packages cream cheese, cut ino small cubes
12 eggs
2 cups milk
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
Place 1/2 of the bread cubes in a greased 9 x13 pan. Add 1/2 of the cream cheese cubes and 1/2 the blueberries. Cover with remaining bread cubes. Sprinkle remaining cream cheese and blueberries over top. Mix eggs, milk and syrup/honey. Pour over bread mixture, covering all cubes as best as possible. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight. Remove from fridge and let sit 30 minutes. Bake covered with foil in a 350 degree oven for about 3/4 hour. Uncover and bake another 15 minutes. Centre should be set. Be sure eggs are set- bake a few more minutes if centre is juicy. Let sit on counter for a few minutes before serving.
Blueberry sauce:
In a saucepan, stir together:
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup water
Bring to a boil and add 3 cups blueberries. Simmer 3-5 minutes. Stir in 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp lemon rind. Serve warm over baked french toast and serve with whipped cream.
CRUSTLESS QUICHE
Base:
6 eggs
2 cups cottage cheese
1/4 cup melted butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup grated cheese
From here you can really add whatever you like. I did chorizo sausage, green onion, red pepper and an aged cheddar cheese. You could also do swiss and ham or quiche florentine. I don't measure but rather chop and add as much as I think looks good.
Beat all ingredients and pour in to a glass pie shell (or double the recipe and it fits nicely into a 9 x 13).
Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until centre has set. I find it take a bit longer then the recipe calls for.....but not as long as it did at the shower:)
OVEN DRIED TOMATOES
There isn't a recipe that I follow so I'll do my best to explain the process...
Large case of roma tomatoes (I usually do 3 cases from Costco), cut into 3rds and lightly squeezed of their juicy liquids...but try to keep them in tact.
Place in a large bowl and toss in olive oil and a generous amount of garlic (this is where the big tub of minced garlic from Costco comes in handy). The tomoatoes should all be nicely coated.
Place cut side up on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
Bake for 5 1/2ish hours @ 225 degrees. They should be a bit charred but still tender to the touch. Cool completely before storing. I keep them on the counter for the first two days and in the fridge after that...if there are any left over:)
My favourite way to serve these is with a crisp grainy cracker, boursin or balderson cheese, and fresh basil. Leftovers would also be great in pasta or on a homemade margherita pizza. These are a must!
Thursday, May 26
Shower Recipes
Lovingly created by JAK at 9:56 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 Notes of love:
Thanks so much Kristin. These were so yummy...AMAZING job on the house you helped design. My jaw dropped as I looked at the pics, you have a serious gift lady!
Post a Comment