CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 29

Zzzzz

Sleep. It is a necessary function of the day that is taken for granted when it comes easily or is allowed. Our sleeplessness with Malachi is due to many reasons. Many of them started out because of need and in the past few months have been continued out of want and convenience.


In February I did my version of sleep training for a week. I saw a ton of progress and even had one night of Malachi being down for ten solid hours of sleep. A week later he got a bald cold, followed by two teeth and then a week of holidays. Bye bye sleep training:) The past two months have been nights of 2-5 wake ups in a 12 hour stretch. Just when I thought it was getting good (twice up a night) Malachi switched it up and went to five times a night. Seeing as he turned one I thought it was time to get our sleep back in control.

Tuesday night I stayed in the room with him but didn't nurse or pick him up. He was ticked as the milk maid is usually a 24 hour drive thru! I could tell that he was just mad and decided to stick to it. He cried for about an hour on and off and then finally gave in. Throughout that night Malachi woke another five times but I just shhh'd him (from my sleepy state on the floor) and he settled back down immediately.

Wednesday night I put him down at 7:15pm and he only woke up at 4:45am! This progress has totally shocked and thrilled me. I'm not sure what tonight holds but I feel very encouraged that sleep is on its way back into my life.

I thought a quick post about our current sleep was in order for those of you who know it has been a challenge. And an encouragement for those of you who are still sleepless with your babes...

3 Notes of love:

rachelandgrant said...

That's awesome! I'm glad that you had success so quickly.

Grandma Linda said...

Lovely...Zzzz well tonight!

tk said...

It is amazing how important sleep can be when you never get the amount that you really need. I know everyone says that this stage doesn't last very long, but when you are sleep deprived every night, it feels like it will never end.
I hope the training continues to go well and that you are able to get some much needed Zzzzz you deserve.