CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 31

Fresh and tasty!

We just finished dinner and I thought I must pass on two recipes to inspire the cook of the house. Every Monday morning I plan my meals for the week and go off to the grocery store to get what I need. I don't always find it easy coming up with new ideas but, at the same time, I like to have a lot of variety in our menus. So, if you are needing a healthy, easy, and tasty meal, try the recipes below:
Red Lentil and Carrot Soup with Coconut

2 c red lentils
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cracked black perppercorns
1 long red chili pepper or 2 Thai chilies, finely chopped
1 can tomatoes (796 ml) including juice
2 large carrots, peeled, and thinly sliced
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 c vegetable or chicken broth
1 can (398 ml) coconut milk
thin slices lemon and cilantro for garnish

1. Cook onions until soft, then add garlic, turmeric, cumin, pepper, and chili pepper. Cook for 1 min.
2. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Stir in carrots, lentils (rinsed), lemon juice and broth. 
3. Put in slow cooker for 8 - 10 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
4. Just before eating, stir in coconut milk and cook on high until heated through.
*I puree this before serving

Super Slaw


6 tbsp rice vinegar

6 tbsp vegetable oil

5 tbsp creamy peanut butter

3 tbsp soy sauce

3 tbsp brown sauce

2 tbsp minced ginger

11/2 tbsp minced garlic


Whisk above ingredients in small bowl to blend. Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve.


5 c thinly sliced green cabbage

2 c thinly sliced red cabbage (I just do 7 cups of the premix cole slaw bags)

2 large red peppers, cut into match like strips

8 large green onions, thinly sliced

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (You can't skip this ingredient!...Tasha)


0 Notes of love: