Well today was a pretty big day for Jayda. Here's the story...
Jayda was born with sweet little teeth but not enough room for them all to come in. She had a lot of crowding which ended up causing some damage and cavities to the teeth, many teeth. A year and a half ago she went in to a pediatric dental specialist to have lots of work done. Several teeth were ground down to allow the needed spacing in between so as not to get food and bacteria caught where it shouldn't be. The front teeth couldn't be treated with caps like the back teeth but the Dr. hoped that the front teeth would be ok and fall out on their own for the tooth fairy one day. Unfortunately last week Jayda woke up with an enormous swollen lip, tooth pain and red gums. I immediately thought that she had an infection or abscess tooth but couldn't get a good look in her mouth. Finally in the afternoon I called the dentist and requested an emergency visit. She fit us in quickly and saw us an hour later. After looking at the teeth she told me Jayda would need to lose her four front teeth. I had a moment of internal panic but tried to play it cool for Jayda:) We were scheduled in right away and had the extraction appointment this afternoon. My main concern today wasn't the procedure or recovery but whether Jayda would drink the sleepy juice. She had a memory of it from years ago and is pretty stubborn about drinking/eating things she doesn't want to....doesn't fall far from the tree, I know! The Dr. gave her a different flavour from the last time hoping this would go over but after a tiny sip Jayda refused the juice. They measure out a certain amount according to weight so whatever was in the cup Jayda had to drink, regardless of whether she spit it back in the cup. We had an all out battle that ended with the nurse and I pinning Jayda down, holding her legs and arms with all our might, as she kicked, screamed and begged for mommy to stop forcing the juice. While I held her tightly the nurse used a syringe to drip it into Jayda's mouth. The terror in her eyes as I held her against her will today was enough to make me cry at the thought of it. It felt so wrong to hold her as she begged me to stop. In the back of my head I knew that she needed those teeth out before the adult teeth were affected yet at the same time I just wanted to call the whole thing off, hold my little angel in my arms and run home. Luckily, we managed to get enough juice in her that she became sleepy within about 30 minutes. At that point she was whisked away to the procedure room, given a nice mask of happy air and then off to Neverland she went. If there is one thing I can boast about Jayda it is that she is one tough cookie. When she is sick or experiencing this type of trauma she pulls up her socks and is a trooper. There has been no whining, crying or complaining since we got home from the dentist. As she adjusts to the new hole in her mouth (only two teeth ended up being taken, hooray!) she will savour the sweet little bag of coins she is going to find under her pillow come morning time. Plus, she feels exceptionally cool that she has lost more teeth then some of her older friends:)
Here's to new smiles and jingling pockets!
Tuesday, December 13
Teeth
Lovingly created by JAK at 10:13 p.m.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 Notes of love:
Post a Comment