CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 22

Recipe box must have

I am just itching to update my blog with pictures from all the things we have been up to this summer, however, we still don't have internet! Right now I'm using an unsecured network from one of my neighbours but the signal is SO low that it takes ages to get anywhere online. I simply don't have the patience to sit around for hours for a couple of blogger updates so it will have to wait until we finally get ourselves totally hooked up.


In the mean time, I thought it would be easy to share a new recipe with you. The ingredient list is pretty simple but this salad has become our new summer fav. I could eat it every day:) Give it a try and enjoy!

Apple and Cheddar Salad With Maple Dressing

& Candied Walnuts



Ingredients


Dressing:
2 tbsp (25 mL) apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp (25 mL) maple syrup
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
½ tsp (2 mL) Dijon mustard
⅓ cup (75 mL) vegetable oil


Candied walnuts: (I doubled this part!)
½ cup (125 mL) walnuts, halved and shelled
2 tbsp (25 mL) maple syrup


Salad:
8 cups (2 L) mixed greens
2 apples, halved, cored and sliced
4 oz (125 g) cheddar cheese, shaved


Get Cooking!

  • Mix cider vinegar with maple syrup, salt and mustard. Whisk in oil. Taste; adjust seasoning, if necessary.
  • To prepare walnuts, combine with maple syrup. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast in a pre-heated 325°F (160°C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until browned. Move parchment paper with walnuts from hot baking pan to a cooling rack. Nuts will crisp as they cool. Break them apart.
  • Place greens in a salad bowl and toss with only as much dressing as needed to coat them (about half the dressing—the rest will keep for 5 days in refrigerator). Garnish with apples, cheese and walnuts. (You could also add fresh blueberries, etc. to make this even tastier).


Makes 6 to 8 servings


Nutrition Facts: 1 serving has 190 calories, 5 g protein, 13 g fat, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fibre.


1 Notes of love:

Grandma Linda said...

Sounds delicious! I will try it soon - maybe next week?