I don't have any pictures or videos for you today. Somehow after Christmas we haven't done a ton worth capturing on camera...the rain could have something to do with it:( We have had rain for the past few days. The one perk is that it is 9 degrees so I really can't complain.
I thought today could be recipe day! I made a great curry last night that I must pass on. I got a curry cookbook for Christmas so have been making one curry a week! Just when my house is starting to smell 'normal' again I make another strong curry. But they are just so delicious. Here goes:
CARIBBEAN CURRIED BEEF & CHICKPEAS
2lbs boneless stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 onion, chopped
1/2-1 scotch bonnet pepper, minced (I used a jalapeno)
3 T curry powder, divided
2T freshly squeezed lime juice
2T vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1T minced gingerroot (I use ginger paste- Superstore)
1 large ripe tomato, chopped
11/2c. beef stock
2 cans (14-19oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2t chopped fresh thyme (I used dried)
salt
4 green onions, sliced
In a large bowl, combine beef, onion, hot pepper, 2 tbsp. curry powder and the lime juice. Toss to coat evenly. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight.
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add remaining curry powder, garlic, ginger and garam masala*; cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef mixture with marinade and stir until coated with spices and beef starts to turn white, about 2 minutes.
Stir in tomato and stock; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and simmer, covered, until beef is fork-tender, 45-60 minutes.
Stir in thyme. Increase heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and serve sprinkled with green onions. It needs quite a bit of salt and you'll find the more you add, the better the curry flavour.
I served this with basmati rice and steamed green beans. Andrew thinks raita is a must with this meal.
*Garam masala- there are many many different recipes for this. I made a basic one because it was what I had in the house at the time. You can also buy it at the store, if you have a good ethnic aisle- Manitobans: Superstore in Winnipeg might have it!
This is what I did:
4-5 cinnamon sticks
1t cumin seeds
1t coriander seeds
7 peppercorns
1 bay leaf
4 cloves
Combine all ingredients and roast in a pan until aromatic. Grind to a powder(I used my coffee grinder) and store in air-tight container for months.



1 Notes of love:
It sounds amazing! and complicated. Mike suggested very nicely that I should try to make this. I said the same right back at him. :)
Post a Comment